To support organizations and migrant workers during the COVID-19 public health emergency, AMSSA has created a curated list of useful resources. This list will be updated as new information is released.
- COVID-19: A Guide for Temporary Foreign Workers in Canada
A customized guide for Temporary Foreign Workers under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program developed by Employment and Social Development Canada. Covers topics such as: information about COVID-19, what TFWs should know before coming to Canada, rights and responsibilities, income supports and contact information of government authorities.
French version: https://www.canada.ca/fr/emploi-developpement-social/campagne/droits-travailleurs-etrangers/guide-covid19.html
Spanish version: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/campaigns/foreign-worker-rights/covid19-guide-spanish.html
- New Immigration Process Allows Temporary Foreign Workers to Get Back to Work Quickly
The Government announced, effective immediately, a new, temporary policy that will drastically reduce the time it takes for a temporary foreign worker to start a new job.
- Guidance for Employers of Temporary Foreign Workers Regarding COVID-19 – Government of Canada
The Government of Canada has released a document outlining the expectations for employers regarding Temporary Foreign Workers. The resource is also available in French and Spanish:
Lignes directrices pour les employeurs de TET concernant la COVID-19
Orientación para empleadores de trabajadores temporales extranjeros en relación con el COVID-19
- Notice: Special Compliance Inspections for Employers of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Temporary Foreign Workers and employers are expected to follow the latest public health and safety requirements and guidance from the Government of Canada, and from their respective provincial/territorial and local authorities, to help prevent the introduction and spread of COVID-19.
- ESDC Information Bulletin – last updated April 3, 2020
Government of Canada and Government of British Columbia information and resources for individuals and organizations supporting temporary foreign workers under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program in British Columbia during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) – Employment and Social Development Canada
Information on new measures under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
- Frequently asked questions: Changes to the Temporary Foreign Worker program regarding COVID-19
This document is intended to complement existing guidance to employers (published March 27, 2020), as well as information for travellers to Canada.
- Letter from Ministers to employers – Temporary Foreign Workers – COVID-19
The Government of Canada is working with employers, workers and stakeholders to ensure that they are aware of their obligations to comply with public health requirements in the context of COVID-19. The Minister of Health, and Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion, have shared a joint letter with employers outlining the Government of Canada’s expectations.
- How the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services: visitors, foreign workers and students
Restrictions and exemptions for travellers to Canada.
- COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information
The Province of BC’s COVID-19 homepage now includes translated sites in multiple languages. Here you can find essential information, news releases and important messages from the province during the pandemic.
Occupational Health and Safety
- WorkSafeBC claims process for Temporary Foreign Workers
Guidelines for Temporary Foreign Workers surrounding the WorkSafeBC claims process when workers are directed to self-isolate.
- WorkSafeBC: COVID-19 and the Workplace
A summary of recommendations for key workplace issues related to COVID-19 such as workplace protections, right to refuse work and compensation.
- WorkSafeBC COVID-19 Information and Resources
Learn more about WorkSafe BC services during the pandemic including how to make a claim.
- Preventing exposure to COVID-19 in the workplace: A guide for employers
The minimum standard that employers must meet, to comply with obligations to ensure worker health and safety.
- Employment Standards Act: Protecting Jobs During Difficult Times
The Province has made two significant changes to the Employment Standards Act to better support workers both during the COVID-19 public health emergency and in the long term.
- AgSafe COVID-19 Resources
AgSafe provides COVID-19 resources for workplaces in the BC agriculture industry, including how to prepare your farm for the pandemic. Resources are also available in English, Punjabi & Spanish.
- Medical Services Plan – British Columbia Response to COVID-19
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, temporary foreign workers in B.C. with a permit of less than 6 months, who would otherwise not be eligible for coverage under MSP, will be provided temporary MSP coverage to July 31, 2020 or the end of their permit, whichever is sooner.
- Managing COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety & Depression
Information on what we can do as individuals and collectively to deal with stress and support one another during these challenging times.
- Vancouver Coastal Health Resources
Daily VCH updates as well as information on COVID-19 prevention, symptoms and what to do if you are feeling sick.
- Public Health Agency of Canada Resouces
Latest information on COVID-19 from Public Health.
- COVID-19 Hotline
British Columbia has an information hotline solely dedicated to answering non-medical questions about COVID-19. Service providers at the new phone line will help answer questions about travel recommendations, social distancing, and what kinds of support, resources and assistance are available. This hotline can be reached by calling 1-888-COVID19 or 1-888-268-4319 from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day with information available in more than 110 languages.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Public Transit Precautions
Guidelines to keep the transit system safe and clean for yourself and those around you.
- COVID-19 Multilingual Resources
Reputable resources for learning more about COVID-19 in five different languages.
- Online Fraud Reporting Tool
This tool can be used to report any potential cases of abuse of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program to the Government of Canada.
Visit the AMSSA website for more COVID-19 resources.